featured on home page

Dining Out on Maui? It Will Cost You More

Expect to pay more dining out on Maui, including at casual restaurants. Menu prices rose at Hawaii restaurants for four straight months over the summer as owners and managers continued to cope with increasing supply costs and rising wages for employees. The Food Gurus Hawaii Restaurant Index provides data each month to Hawaii Business Magazine, tracking over 3 million transactions monthly at over 130 statewide restaurant locations, according to founder Doug Harris. “Quick serve restaurants serve [...]

HOA Considerations for Video Security Cameras on Property

High resolution security cameras have become affordable for HOA residents and property managers. Whether it is a doorbell cam to deter porch pirates or an outdoor camera to monitor the perimeter, these devices have become more accessible and easy to manage for the typical homeowner or association. According to Tinnelly Law, a practice focused on HOAs, surveillance cameras are effective at reducing the number of low-level crimes such as automobile break-ins and burglaries in areas where cameras h [...]

Condominium Renovation FAQs

Many homeowners took advantage of slow times during the pandemic to repair or remodel their dwellings, including condominiums. Now that lumber prices have calmed down and we are approaching a less busy fall season, improvement plans may pick up again. However, condominiums, with shared walls and features, are different than a stand alone home. The Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs has put together this helpful summary for those planning work, or for the associations who are fielding re [...]

Are Hawaii’s Tall Buildings at Risk?

Last month’s collapse of a condo building in Florida is bringing up questions about building safety and insurance in Hawaii. Tower collapse risks are extremely low. However, Hawaii buildings are affected by salt air and close proximity to the ocean- some of the same stresses that might have contributed to the Florida collapse. Unlike Florida, large structures in Hawaii are not required to be re-inspected or certified after they are built and approved. This gap has surfaced in the past, including [...]

Maui Visitors Stats and Efforts to Manage Tourism

For over a year, we have yearned to get things "back to normal" in our daily lives. But there is one "normal" that many would like to see addressed in a different way, and that is the impact from the dramatic rise in tourism. With visitor numbers returning to pre-pandemic levels, complaints of crowded beaches and roads, strained infrastructure and impacts on natural resources have risen once again. Last month, Maui's Mayor informally asked airlines for fewer tourists. Even with partial COVID-19 [...]

How D&O Coverage Protects an Association

Volunteers are the lifeblood of every home owners association and other organizations; without these leaders the vital work of the group couldn’t move forward. But as with anything, a misdirection or certain actions could lead to claims of wrongdoing. To protect association directors and officers against such claims and allow them to make the best decisions for the association they represent, a specific type of liability insurance is recommended- Directors and Officers (D&O) insurance. D&amp [...]

New Hawaii Condo Living Guide Video Series Now Online

The Hawaii Real Estate Commission released its new “Hawaii Condo Living Guide” video series to help deliver valuable information to current and prospective condominium owners and boards. The first six educational videos are available online and broken up into a series of short segments for ease of viewing. The commission intends to continue releasing more engaging episodes periodically. “This locally produced video series is a creative way to reach out to residents with important information,” s [...]

UPDATE: Business Changes on Maui Due to Coronavirus

We are fortunate to have many outdoor activities to enjoy, away from crowds. However, with rising COVID-19 numbers in Hawaii, the state and county has put new rules in place to help protect the community and visitors. Effective September 15, 2021, many indoor activities are curtailed or require proof of full vaccination, including indoor dining. Travelers are strongly advised to stay up to date on current rules. Note: This page is being updated as official information becomes available.  What yo [...]

Hawaii’s 2021 Hurricane Season Is Here- Be Prepared

There is a near- or below-normal hurricane season predicted for the Central Pacific this year, according to NOAA’s Central Pacific Hurricane Center and NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center, divisions of the National Weather Service. The outlook predicts a 45% chance of near-normal tropical cyclone, and also a 35% chance for below-normal activity, and 20% chance of an above-normal season. However, as NOAA’s director of the Pacific Hurricane Center points out “It only takes one direct hit, or even a c [...]

Hurricane Planning? Don’t Forget the Elevator!

Elevators are a major investment for a property. According to Taylor Ronnander from OTIS Elevator Company, properties are wise to take appropriate action prior to a major weather event to protect the elevator equipment and prevent shutdowns. Examine your property insurance coverage to see if you are fully covered for a hurricane, including elevators. Here are other preventative measures Ronnander recommends for elevators. BEFORE A HURRICANE Weather stripping around doors should be checked, and r [...]

Go to Top